Thursday, February 26, 2009

Eating Less Equals Losing Weight


http://www.boundlessline.org/2009/02/eating-less-equals-losing-weight.html
Ironically, I was listening to an infomercial the other day (not a normal habit of mine). The setup was interview-style. The guy hocking the product said “with today’s go-go-go attitude, it’s not your fault you’re fat”. That intrigued me. I listened further and the “interviewer” finally said “yeh, yeh, you know, you’re right. It’s not our fault. I mean the larger portions, the high fat meals, the fast food and lack of exercise, I mean we can’t help that. It’s not our fault we’re getting fat.”

As Dave Barry would say, I am not making this up. Apparently eating out, too many calories and no exercise is definitely not my fault. Phew, I’m glad I got that off my back*.

My daughter asked me why I was laughing. The commercial was for a “carb and fat blocker” with a slogan “eat whatever you want and never gain weight”. Symptomatic of our current times of wanting what we want right now without any responsibility or consequences (to tie in to that with which you started, Motte, a product of the McDonalds mentality…..no slight intended).

* - This is not to say everyone is overweight for these reasons, everyone has plenty of time to exercise 2 hours per day, etc.



New Comment
To further the mild nerdiness here, if I remember correctly from my Thermo days, we are actually speaking of kilocalories (1,000's).

See, Dr. Holman, I was really listening!

No comments: