Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Good Luck, Mr. President


http://www.boundlessline.org/2009/01/good-luck-mr-president.htmlI’m struck by a few things

* - Mr. Slater, I agree with your post, but it would have been better to have said this during the campaign (I think it was highlighted back then…..or so I’m told). Or at least a day or two after the inauguration.
* - For people who say (or imply) “lighten up”, folks sure do take things seriously.

When first read, I thought the intent of the post was light. Just a raised eyebrow of “hmm, how odd”. Then I read the furor that returned. Thus,

* - I think the comments do highlight a lack of “take every thought captive”.

I think the main thrust is the cavalier attitude towards a just God who will judge all. I think we should find idol worship abhorrent. From bowing down literally to Gautama to forgoing a relationship with God to sacrifice at the altar of greed (see our credit card bills). Each is offensive to God. Every one of us (beginning with me) at one time or another enjoys putting God on the shelf and minimizing who He is and exactly what He thinks. And (given satan’s help) we are really good at justifying and minimizing things. Acting that something isn’t really a big deal. As far as this goes, I don’t know what President Obama thinks when he reaches for and grasps that chit or that little statue. I (very fortunately) do not know his heart. I wish that he would tell us. As a fellow believer, it seems that he should be accountable for something as conspicuous as this. First, since he was the one who opened this dialog (so to speak) with the picture (this isn’t a telephoto look onto a private secluded beach, folks). But second because we are to be accountable to our body (the Church). We enjoy thinking things not as sin but as a preference and that it’s nobody’s business anyway. We Christians in America in particular delude ourselves this way. I get to conceal my life because it’s private and nobody’s business. But that which is spoken in the dark will be brought to the light. Sometimes that will happen to us before Christ returns. Am I happy when that happens to me? Not at first. But it is a necessary process that demonstrates patience by a supreme God with a self-centered, me-first sinner.

Unlike Mr. Slater’s post, mine was more of a rant.



New Comment
Charlotte C (#57): Well put, I wish my browser updated and I could have read it before my original post (to avoid the redundancies).



New Comment
Michelle (#74) (in addition to the 1 Cor 9), were you thinking of 1 Cor 4 –

Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men's hearts; and then each man's praise will come to him from God.

And yes, an excellent thing to remember.

No comments: