Monday, January 26, 2009

Nancy Pelosi Thinks We Need Less Children Being Born


http://www.dennyburk.com/?p=3508
“The abortion culture is downstream from many things that are going on in our churches. Because before we aborted children in the womb, we aborted them in our minds…..We began to see children as a burden. Children as an obstacle.”--Russell More

I think that is a very revealing thought. It’s an erosion of our consciences. I agree with Joe (his two quoted thoughts………which, I think, means that he believes them to be bad, according to the last few threads), but the dulling of our own conscience is a great travesty that has led where we are.


New Comment:
Just out of curiosity, Paul, which fiscal conservatives are telling poor people not to have kids (I'm not as knowledgeable about politics as you and most here).


New Comment

Though not addressed to me, I’ll pipe in……
how NOT to have kids
Paul, I would say it is an argument that the education championed exalts sex (little mention of any repercussions and a lot on how you can avoid repercussions), says this has no repercussions and if it feels right, do it. IMO, education definitely belongs in the home. And there, I would say, is where a great difficulty lies. The public education system is steeped first and foremost (all too often, but there are exceptions) in the “if it feels right, do it” mentality. And when kids are immersed in that for so much of their lives, it presents a great difficulty. There’s no pithy answer, and most who argue against your position (though you would call us southern mouth-breathers) continually weigh that balance and do so with great care.

I think it is a travesty that you make that statement about women and, presumably, complementarian thought. It was highly insulting, but I’m sure you knew that.

And what do you say to the op-ed guy from the National Review who says that poor people shouldn’t have children?
I would say he is showing elitist ignorance. God-exalting values are what are to be elevated. I think in this case (and this will be sooooooooo unpopular, I know), what that means is a cessation of economic crutches provided by our government. Part of the repercussion of having large government handouts and subsidies is a devaluation of community and personal interdependence. The care for the poor should belong to the people in our communities. The sad thing is that I doubt we’ll be back at that point until a “reformation” of sorts happens again (if ever in this nation). Right now, the handout is given as a big, giant grey box. When a handout is given through community action (I would say further, especially when through faith), there is a hand on the other side of that handout. It’s no longer impersonal. There is a body that looks them in the eye.

I suppose I could go on, but I see that we’ve meandered off of the original point of Pelosi’s idea of pushing birth control for those who are economically unfit. Say, wait a minute. Isn’t that what I, as a conservative, was just accused of?



New Comment

To clarify, the first line (in #21) should be "exalts pre-marital sex".

Also, Rick, the fascinating thing is Pelosi's statement of "Nothing in my life will ever, ever compare to being a mom." I don't see how that squares together, but oh, well.



New Comment
Not making a bold stand, it was simply a purposeful shot (straw-man stereotype) that seemed to be insulting. Or, perhaps to soften the language, it sure appeared to be a purposeful slur. If it were not meant as an insult, you would have brought forth your argument (about head coverings).

Regarding your argument (and way off topic again), now, I am not as eloquent as most of my complementarian brothers and sisters, so I'd say take a look at questions 32 and 33 here. Not that I haven't considered this as well as many other questions unearthed (from this site, especially! What a great crowd!) on my walk. To summarize the summary (there is far more expounded upon about this than the one reference):

(1) we seek for clues in the context that this is so; (2) we compare other Scriptures relating to the same subject to see if we are dealing with limited application or with an abiding requirement; and (3) we try to show that the cultural specificity of the command is not rooted in the nature of God, the gospel, or the created order.

I posted your requested comment.

1 comment:

Brian Krieger said...

Paul asked that I post the following:

You do entirely too much assuming and not nearly enough asking of questions.